Monday, September 20, 2010

Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus

I read this book a couple months ago as well, but it is worth a post! Check it out!

Shadow HillsShadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


While reading this, I had one thing on my mind. The Covenant. If you've seen this movie, and you liked it, even a little bit, then you're going to love Shadow Hills.



Though the Covenant was more about witchcraft in relation to Salem, MA and Shadow Hills deals more with Greek mythology and science- the two seemed very similar to each other. I liked the Covenant a lot, so I easily got into Shadow Hills as well.



The characters:

Phe is a genuine character that definitely knows how to get into trouble. Some people might find that annoying, but it keeps the plot moving in a story and that's all that's important. Her love for music and clear thoughts made for an interesting read.

Zach was definitely hot and I didn't mind reading about him at all. He's more of a nice guy than the dangerous type, but that's never a bad thing. I felt that the relationship between him and Phe was very sweet and I was invested in it almost as much as they were. The only complaint I have there is that I felt it moved a little more quickly than it would have in real life. But this isn't real life so I guess it works.



The Villain: I won't name him and spoil anything for those of you who haven't read this yet, but I felt like he was kind of obvious through out the whole book. I was kind of hoping for some surprise, but he was still perfectly evil enough to hate.



The story: Shadow Hills is a very good blend of mystery, thrills, chills, and paranormal romance. At times I'd get creeped out, the same as Phe. The mystery kept the plot moving. Though normally I'm not really a mystery kind of reader, I found that I enjoyed this one. I wasn't sure how much I liked the whole Greek mythology bit because it wasn't quite as developed as I was hoping it would be. Plus, when there's chanting and rituals I kind of get creeped out. As said above, the romance is pretty well developed, though it happens within a week and a half. I'm definitely Team Zach (are we making teams yet? :D). Then again, who isn't a sucker for a hot guy with paranormal powers and who treats a girl like she's his center of gravity? I'm all for it!



Over all, I really really liked Shadow Hills and I hope there's a sequel because I'm not done reading about this world of BVs and Phe's destiny. I'd recommend this book to anyone with a preference for paranormal romance and mystery!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment