Thursday, September 2, 2010

Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

I just finished this book last night. I literally could not put it down. Every five minutes I walked away from it couldn't even keep my mind from wondering what would happen next. My recommendation is that anyone who sees this book in a store, pick it up and start reading! Pronto!

NevermoreNevermore by Kelly Creagh

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Holy crow! Or I guess I should say raven...



This book has been added to my list of favorites! The build-up alone surpassed my expectations. And honestly the whole goth boy meets cheerleader scenario... add in the Edgar Allen Poe twist of horrors... all of that didn't seem like it would fit together without coming off as some cheesy wanna-be-a-slasher-flick-morphed-into-literature type of book. But oh, did Kelly Creagh ever pull it off! I was hooked from the first chapter. I literally devoured this book within the first 24 hours that I had picked it up. And even now I am left wanting to reread it and dreading the fact that I have purchased other untouched books to be read.



The characters alone allowed for intrigue. Varen Nethers makes goth boys around the world seem swoon-worthy... A type that I had overlooked before, but that Creagh brings up close and personal in NEVERMORE. I was constantly texting about his schmexiness to one of my best friends through-out the entire afternoon that I spent reading this book. The most surprising character of all though... was Isobel. Whoever thought that a cheerleader that has everything in her life going right for her- and whom most bookworms would choose to ignore and/or despise, could be one of the most relatable, and admirable female leads ever written? Certainly, not I. But oh, how I admired her and related to her on so many different levels! I was swept away by her courage and her ability to step past stereotypes and social standards. Even in the face of pure, Poe-inspired horror, she stood her ground and proved that she wasn't just some cheerleader- she was a real heroine!



My only complaint about the book is it's ending. Because I need the sequel. Now. Like right now. The last 100 pages or so went by in a whirlwind of action after about a 400 page build up. And that last fourth or fifth of the book (I'm bad with math) was lacking a particular character of interest except for a few brief moments. So, it is DIRE and IMPERATIVE that I get hold of the sequel. Immediately. Oh, please Kelly Creagh! I really, really need the sequel!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment