Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Before I start in on this review, I must let everyone know... I am no longer waiting on Mockingjay! Hip, hip hooray! Just got my copy today!

*clears throat* Now, let us commence with a review on the wonderful debut novel of Andrea Cremer... Nightshade.


Nightshade (Nightshade, #1)Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


4.5 Stars. That's what I'll give NIGHTSHADE, for being an amazing read that held my interest and had me thinking about it through-out the week at least once a day.



I have to say that it was refreshing to hear Calla's voice. She was a strong character, but not without her weaknesses and it was nice to see that in a YA female narrator. I felt empathetic towards her during various scenes and wasn't the least bit annoyed with her at any stage in the story.



The love triangle was also nice. I could see how hard the choice would be for anyone in that position. Be with someone who has always been your destiny and you know you can learn to love over time? Or be with the one that you love and whom brings you freedom? I do have to say that I was Team Ren for the win through-out the entire novel, but right at about 3/4 of the story, I found Shay more and more worthy of Calla.



The world of NIGHTSHADE is very enthralling and mystical. I have to give Andrea Cremer mucho props for building a whole new world around the often-used werewolf niche. She really made it her own and it was believable.



The only two reasons that I didn't give this book a full 5 stars? One- I wasn't so completely enraptured the entire time. For instance, it took me a whole week to read it and I didn't mind putting it down. But I did want to finish it and I DID love the story. Reason Two- the histories of the Keepers and Searchers were a bit muddied. I would've liked some sort of wrapped-up explanation towards the end, but since this book is part of a trilogy I can put that aside and wait patiently for more to be revealed in the sequel.



I recommend NIGHTSHADE to anyone that loves werewolves and suckers for love stories. Also, I might add that if you love some good action sequences, pick this book up when it comes out in October! You won't be disappointed.



View all my reviews

I really, really love werewolves, people. No lie.

No comments:

Post a Comment