Saturday, August 28, 2010

Finnikin of the Rock

I wasn't sure which book to blog about first. However, why not start with my favorite?

Finnikin of the RockFinnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Sooo, I read this book a few months ago. I've been meaning to review it for a very long time, but as you can see, I haven't. The best word that can describe this book, in my opinion, and the way it made me feel, is "speechless". It is truly my favorite book so far.



The characters: What can I say? They're real. They're strong. They're all connected to one another and that in itself makes for an exceptional story. I fell in love with these characters. I lived and breathed them. Finnikin, Evangeline, Froy, Captain Trevanion, Sir Topher, Lady Beatriss, and everyone else! All of them have become my literary friends that I wish were real.



The story: It is one of the most moving, inspirational, and greatest stories I've ever read. The search for a lost identity and courage and hope; all of these themes are ones that echo in our daily lives. In this world, really. And the way that Marchetta uses them in FINNIKIN OF THE ROCK really brings them to light in our world. I loved it.



I found it a little funny, actually, because I wasn't so sure about this book when I first saw it. I figured it would either be epic or fall short. It took my about 70 pages to get hooked too, since I had come upon it with such uncertainty. But this book proves that you CAN find a gem among ordinary stones and I'm so glad that I gave it a chance.



I love this book. It is my favorite book so far and I hope that anyone that has a chance to read it will open it up and take the chance. It's a truly remarkable read.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment