Sunday, January 16, 2011

Misguided Angel by Melissa De La Cruz

Misguided Angel (Blue Bloods, #5)Misguided Angel by Melissa de la Cruz

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I liked it. Although, I'm starting to agree with some other reviews that this seemed like a filler book. A few things annoyed me, and I'll start off with those before listing off the things I liked.



One, these books are too short. With such an epic plot and so many view points, it's really not long enough to live up to it's content. There are so many things that De La Cruz does well with her Blue Bloods cast. I have always been invested in their lives, since my sophomore year of high school. But if you're going to continue a series in such a way, then you need to seriously give this book some weight.



Two, they're spaced too far apart. As I've said above, I've been reading these books since my sophomore year of high school. Now I'm in my second year at college and I'm still reading this series. It's good. It's addicting and it captured my loyalty from the beginning. But when it takes a whole year to come out with the next book, I just can't remember all of the details that the author fleshes out.



Three, now that we're into the fifth book, it's time to stick with what you have. De La Cruz just keeps adding characters in and multiplying her view points. Where is Bliss? Her view point has turned into such a vital part of the story, and now in MISGUIDED ANGEL she's no where to be found. She's barely mentioned! Instead, we are met with Deming Chen. Who is a lovely addition, but is she really necessary? I was confused as to why her point of view was thrown into this book. And with this third point about POVs, I'm still a little surprised that nothing really happened to propel the series forward in this novel. Everything that happens could mostly be mentioned in the first fifty pages of another book. One that would hopefully tie up some ends instead of loosening more.



What I love about Blue Bloods is that it has such an epic story. It's original and unique and the characters are fairly well developed. The lives of the priveleged splayed out before us to see. It holds a promise of something truly epic and fulfilling in the end. However, I'm starting to get annoyed with all of this running around in circles. I'm about ready to just put it down until she decides to wrap it up. The only phrase I am left with after MISGUIDED ANGEL is:



Get to the point, already.



And with that said, I only have one more thing to add.



Please, please, please bring back Kingsley in LOST IN TIME!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment