Friday, January 14, 2011

Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin

Low Red MoonLow Red Moon by Ivy Devlin

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


This was a library book.



I'd already gathered that it was going to be average from the various reviews. But surprisingly, because I'd started with such low expectations, I actually thought it was a little better than what some other people had to say about it.



For one, I liked the intensity and the suspense that Devlin added in, It was nice to see that side of a werewolf YA. However, the romance section of the plot was a bit of an overkill considering that this book is only 244 pages. A little less smooching, perhaps, and a little more story-telling. That was one thing that bugged me. I thought Ben's and Avery's relationship could have been pretty endearing had it not been for Devlin's attempt at soul mate intensity. If I had to read another page about how beautiful Ben was and how there was just SOMETHING about him that Avery couldn't help but be drawn to, I might have put the book down.



As for the villain, I thought she did an okay job. I had a couple suspects, and when I found out who it was I wasn't that surprised. However, I would have been more satisfied if it had been Grandma. Just saying. Let's go Red Riding Hood on werewolf YA folks. Throw in a real twist.





One last thing that I couldn't make heads or tails of was Avery's voice. There were a lot of instances where she uses the '--' mid sentence and cuts herself off, only to pick up with a new sentence. I understand that people talk like this on more than one occasion, but sometimes it just felt like Devlin was trying too hard to make Avery a sympathetic character. I understood that Avery had been through a lot. And I loved that she is found in the first chapter, covered from hair to toenails in her parents' blood. Well, I loved the dramatic start off and the thrilling aspect of it. Not so much that she lost her parents. Thus, I understand why Avery is traumatized, but she didn't need to get a speech impediment while she's thinking, right? I don't know...



In the end though, I was satisfied. It's a short read and I love werewolves, I just sort of wish that it had been developed more before going to print. It could have been so much more.



A promising premise. If there's a sequel I hope it's a little longer. I might pick it up then.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment