Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

UnearthlyUnearthly by Cynthia Hand

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Okay, I'm actually going to try and put into words how awesome this book is.



It's been about a month or so since I read it, sooo forgive me if this review lacks in details.



I would also like to start off by thanking HarperTeen for sending me an ARC so that I may review this amazing book before it hits stores.



UNEARTHLY by Cynthia Hand is undefinable. Debut? Yes. Really freaking awesome debut? Yes. First part of a trilogy? Yes. Can't wait a whole year for book two? Of course I can't! It's a new take on Angels (or Angel-bloods in this case) and if you're a sucker for romance, well here you go. A chance to get weak in the knees and laugh at the same time because of it. The story itself is quite a journey. Clara is our main character. She has a purpose to fulfill. She must save a mysterious boy from a forest fire. This purpose relocates her mother and younger brother to the town of Jackson Hole, Wyoming. And thus, we meet Christian. The boy she must save. Of course Clara has a crush on him right away. Who wouldn't when he's a handsome, popular skiier who plays a part in your own destiny? But alas, he is dating Miss Popular Kay. Insert some epic drama there. But it's not just about Christian these days. Clara's mother can't help but hold back a lot of important information from her daughter and there are loads that Clara has to figure out on her own, or with the help of an angel-blood that she meets in her new school. Add in a plot-twisting cowboy with the intention to either irritate Clara to death or finally get her on his side and I am completely and totally signed up.



It surprised me how much I liked this book. Not only did it have the heart-ache and mystery that I love- both subtle and yet complex in their own rights- but it provided a well-rounded debut with a character that any girl can relate to. I really loved the humor that Hand uses and there were plenty of down right embarrassing moments that would make any reader 'face-palm'. I would also like to add that I lived in Boise, Idaho for two years back in elementary school and it's nice to finally find an author who lived around that same place. The scenery up there is just down right gorgeous and I think that Hand really captured it well.



Waiting impatiently for the sequel and totally completely Team Tucker,

Katie.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment