Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

Ha! Finally got one done! (Just don't expect another review soon, unfortunately. I'm behind on my NaNoWriMo writing.)

Crescendo (Hush, Hush, #2)Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


CRESCENDO was everything it lived up to be. There was action, heart-ache (popular with most YA sequels these days), and mystery. The characters developed just as they should have in this sequel. I was very surprised to find that I liked Nora and Patch much better in CRESCENDO than I did in HUSH, HUSH. I mean, honestly I wasn't that big of a fan of the setting and mystery in the first book. I'm just not a mystery fan. However, I will say that Ms. Fitzpatrick executes it wonderfully. She deserves props for this genre, folks.



For some reason, Patch's bad boy image wasn't sticking too well with me from the first book. Like others, I felt that he was more of a jerk. But then again, he was sort of the bad guy in the plot. In CRESCENDO however, this image was as bright and vivid as the summer sun. Completely believable. I loved that he and Nora wouldn't compromise in their relationship. It proved that they were strong characters and not just paper cut-outs stuck in a book.



The Marcie Millar factor and the story behind that was also beautifully done. Though I will say that I'm a little tired of hearing how the rich cheerleader in school is such a witch with a capital B. It would be nice if the sixteen year olds in YA would grow up a little bit.



And with that, I found another issue I have. Sixteen year olds in serious relationships. Sure, it can be done. But it's hard to make it last forever. The undying romance and maturity of this genre forced upon a budding junior in high school just seems a little bit of a stretch to me. But of course, Nora is no ordinary girl!



All in all though, I give CRESCENDO 4.5 stars. It was interesting, it kept me turning the pages, and after that cliffhanger of an ending, I am SO ready for TEMPEST. I just hope that it gets here soon enough so I don't forget major plot points again.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment