Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Haunted by Jessica Verday

The Haunted (The Hollow, #2)The Haunted by Jessica Verday

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Ummm... holy carp. That was good. And yes, I do mean carp. It sounds funnier. First off, I loved THE HOLLOW, it was unique and descriptive and haunting. (Why not throw in a pun like that for good measure?) In the end, I wasn't getting my hopes up for THE HAUNTED though. Seeing as this is a debut trilogy from an up-and-coming author I figured it would mostly be full of fluff. And that's when the buzzer sounded, ladies and gents. Telling me in a nasely tone that I was so totally WRONG!



In this stunning sequel, we follow Abbey back from her Aunt Marjorie's farm to the ghost-inhabited Sleepy Hollow. She adjusts. Hopes she's not crazy. Keeps making perfumes. Hangs out with Ben, yada yada, but can't get rid of Caspian. Yep... Folks, he's back! And better than ever! I can't believe how head over heels in love with him I am after I put down this book. His personality really came to life in this one. I mean, first off who wouldn't love a guy who sneaks into your room while you're gone just to stick glow in the dark stars all over your ceiling for you? Adorable, insert 'freaking' a smidgeon before said adorableness. But now I'm gushing, so let's move on.



Their relationship really grows in this one. Abbey knows what's going on around her for the most part now and has to come to terms with it all. It was much easier to read without all of my fingers pointed at the suspicious elements. In THE HOLLOW I kept trying to come up with my own answers before we got to the end and figured out some big plot points, but in THE HAUNTED there was much less pointing. Still an occasional narrowing of the eyes, but less pointing nonetheless. And we finally figure out who "D." is from Kristen's diary. And holy carp, he's creepy. Way, way creepy and suspicious.



I'd say I really loved this one. It has become a favorite, though at times it can come off a little cheesey, a little surprising, and even a little bit mature for Abbey's intended age group, but still! Such a great read. I'm going to have to reread soon. After I diminish my pile of unreads first.



And can I leave saying how big of a cliffhanger that was! Yeesh! Ms. Verday expects me to wait a whole freaking year for the next one?! Is she crazy?! I hope she writes fast... Still happy though!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment