Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Across the UniverseAcross the Universe by Beth Revis

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Mind blowing... Holy frex...



There are very few books that simply blow me out of the water. Very few. I can count them on one hand.



And to be perfectly honest, I didn't even like this book when I first started it. I thought that it was getting off of the ground way too slow and there wasn't much going on-- add that in with the fact that I already don't have a taste for science fiction so much (especially spaceship voyage kind of science fiction) NOR mysteries, and I thought I had a complete dud on my hands. For my personal tastes anyway. By the 50s to 100s each hook kept pulling me back. It took a while to get to the end, simply because I kept wanting to give up, but the story wouldn't let me forget about it completely.



The thing about mysteries that I hate is that I usually can predict who the killer is... or at least when I can't, everything adds up pretty flawlessly. But ACROSS THE UNIVERSE had a dozen or so surprises even AFTER we find out who's behind this... It's like opening up one door, simply to find another. And it does this in dominoe fashion to the very last page.



I still wouldn't have liked it though, had it not been for the love story. "Brave New World meets Titanic" is correct, back cover. I am sold, Revis. Completely and totally sold. Keep writing your science fiction/mystery/romance trilogy and I will bow down to it's utterly captivating prose!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment